The Food Network recently published a list of 50 Deviled Egg Recipes. While those recipes may taste amazing, they’re not Bulletproof or House Of Strength approved. And since 50 Deviled Eggs makes me think of Paul Simon’s 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover, we’re going to ditch the unhealthy recipes, make the required upgrades and enjoy 50 Healthy Ways To Devil Your Eggs!
Why Deviled Eggs?
We’ve covered the benefits and awesomeness of free-range, organic eggs HERE. But for a quick recap:
- Loaded with the most bio-available protein on the planet.
- Contain omega-3 fatty acids – lowers inflammation, protect the heart, help brain development.
- Source of cholesterol & saturated fat NECCESSARY for proper hormone levels & cellular structures.
- Great source of choline – a neurotransmitter crucial for cognitive function & nervous system firing patterns.
- Great source of iodine – supports thyroid & metabolic function.
- Great source of selenium – cancer fighting mineral missing from most people’s diet.
- Can be made ahead for quick, easy, portable, & convenient snacks, meals, cookouts, or events!
How To Make Them
Place 12-24 eggs in a large (wide) pot. Cover by 1 inch with water and bring water to a boil with lid on pot. Once water boils, reduce heat to low and set timer for 10-15 minutes. (More eggs = more time). Immediately remove eggs from heat, run under cold water or dump into ice bath. Peel and halve each egg lengthwise. Scoop out the yolks and set aside for “deviling”.
The first “upgrade” we need to make is the mayonnaise used in the yolk mixture. You have 3 options:
- Use olive oil mayonnaise. This removes the canola oil or other toxic vegetables from the mayo. Read THIS POST to see why you should avoid Canola Oil.
- Replace the mayo with guacamole.
- Replace the mayo with the thick cream from the top of canned organic Non-GMO coconut milk.
After hard-boiling and slicing the eggs, you scooped and set aside the yolks. Time to mash them. Add 1/2 C mayonnaise or acceptable substitute (see above) per 12 eggs. So 18 eggs = 3/4 C , 2 dozen eggs = 1 C, etc. Add 1 TBSP unsweetened pickle relish (cucumbers & vinegar are both AWESOMELY healthful foods!) and 1-2 tsp Dijon mustard (make sure yours has no added sugars). Season with sea salt & black pepper, then spoon into egg whites and top with paprika.